Now, anyone who has ever taken a class with me knows that I never leave a pattern alone. Unfortunately for me, that includes my own patterns. So as I reformat the patterns, I am also revising them. I am fortunate to have a fantastic editor, Tina Hay, working with me. (She thinks that editing these patterns is "fun," and I would appreciate it if you did not tell her otherwise. I plan to set her to work hemming pants soon, and I'm sure she'll think it's a ball.)
In the fall, I connected with a wonderful photographer, Tamar London, and I had my first photo shoot in December.
For the past week, I have been revising my top-down mitten pattern. (Tina, another draft is coming your way soon.) Today I ran across photos that I took a long time ago for the cover of the pattern. I thought you would enjoy seeing the before-and-after shots.
Here is the first one I ever took, about 7 years ago:
"Mitten on Notebook Paper."
I knew it wasn't very good. I thought that maybe if I did a little photo editing, I could improve it. What do you think?
"Black and White Mitten on Notebook Paper surrounded by white haze in Pebbled Frame."
Since I knew that the photo wasn't working, I thought that maybe drawing it instead would improve the situation.
Maybe not so much.
Over the years, I did become a better photographer. Last year, I took this photo of a top-down mitten. It is actually not horrendous. But it still wasn't what I wanted.
"Purple Mitten Floating in Space"
I told Tamar that I wanted photos that looked alive, as if people were wearing and using the knitted items. I didn't want what I call "sweaters on a stick."
She came through.
I am thrilled with Tamar's photos. I'll be showing them to you over time, as I write up the patterns.
You can also follow what I am doing on Facebook, by becoming a fan of Really Clear Instructions.
But in the meantime, I must get back to work.